Hair fall is a complex area within healthcare as it is a symptom of several contributing parameters. While it is considered normal to lose around 50 to 100 strands a day, anything more than that requires testing and treatment. It is also important to treat hair loss as soon as possible so that you're able to control hair fall and stimulate hair growth immediately. The best approach is to start with the type of hair loss being experienced to diagnose hair fall problems with better clarity.
The signs of hair loss in men
There are several signs of hair loss in men that should be medically reviewed if the problem escalates. By understanding the signs of hair loss, you can stop hair fall or reduce the speed at which hair loss is occurring
- Hair thinning is a key sign of hair loss in men, which may start to happen after the age of 30. Hair thinning can be related to several factors, but is a key sign of potential hair loss.
- Receding hairline is something that men should track regularly, and is a largely genetic factor in hair loss in men. The cause of this could be androgenetic alopecia in men.
- Hair loss in patches could be a sign of an underlying condition, such as an autoimmune disease, or a lack of B vitamins in the body. You can also experience hair loss in patches if you have a mineral deficiency.
- Hair loss due to medication or hormonal changes can also occur, which require additional treatments to prevent major hair loss.
- Scalp infections can also cause hair loss in specific sites, requiring testing and immediate treatment.
What are the factors that can cause hair fall?
There are several factors that can cause hair fall and reduce the quality of otherwise healthy hair follicles. The leading factors are as follows -
- A lack of a balanced diet can cause vitamin, mineral, and micronutrient deficiencies in the body. This can reduce the quality of hair follicles and disturb their natural cycle. Hair density is also impacted when eating healthy is not prioritized.
- Exposure to toxic elements, through surroundings, water, and food, can also lead to hair loss. Toxins can injure hair follicles and cause longer hair to break down over time. It is best to get tested to ensure that there are no toxins present in your bloodstream.
- Smoking and excessive drinking can also lead to hair fall owing to poor blood circulation and direct damage to hair DNA. If you quit smoking and excessive drinking then you can prevent hair fall long-term.
- Poor blood circulation to the scalp can also be a cause of hair loss in men. If you increase blood circulation through scalp massage treatments with hair oil, then you can regrow some of your hair.
- There is a strong link stress and hair loss have in men, which is why some men suddenly start to lose hair.
- Poor quality shampoos and conditioners can also lead to hair loss. You can prevent hair loss by opting for better quality hair products.
- Excessive hair styling and using hot blow-dryers regularly can damage hair roots.
- Artificial hairstyles pull hair unnaturally and can tug hair follicles causing hair fall as well.
Best strategies to control hair fall for men
While male pattern hair loss can be largely genetic, there are important strategies men can follow to control hair fall long-term.
Multivitamin and micronutrient rich diet
Diet plays an important role in hair health management, which is why optimizing your diet can help. By eating a balanced meal and improving your supplementation, you can reduce the effects of lifestyle driven hair fall.
Key lifestyle changes
Smoking, excessive drinking, binge eating, and processed foods should be avoided to stop lifestyle-driven hair loss. Key changes, such as stress management, better sleep, exercise, and outdoor activities should be included to improve overall health markers.
Testing for secondary conditions
Diseases, infections, and secondary conditions can cause hair loss as a symptom. You should get a complete test done to determine if your hair loss is caused due to an onset of a secondary condition.
Having a consistent hair hygiene routine
Often we lose some of our essential oils through extended dryness, leading to an appearance of oily hair on the scalp. By following a consistent and high quality hygiene routine, men can prevent a potential scalp infection and improve hair quality.
Using the right shampoos and conditioners
By opting for organic and nutrient-rich hair products, we can strengthen the hair shaft while reducing hair fall. Additionally, using shampoos with green tea extracts can also help strengthen hair follicles in some cases. Also if you avoid brushing wet hair, then you can also reduce hair damage that can occur due to pulling.
Focusing on any hormonal imbalances
Getting tested for hormonal imbalances can provide initial insight into whether your hair loss is caused due to this factor. The right medication restores hormonal balance in the body, which can improve hair growth.
Onion juice for hair growth
Onion juice is one of the best home remedies for controlling hair fall. By rubbing onion juice on the scalp and letting it sit for 20 minutes, you can improve hair quality significantly. You can also add honey to the juice for additional nutrients.
Check if medication is interfering with hair follicles
Certain prescription medication can interfere with hair growth and development, which is why it is important to consult with your doctor about potential side effects.
What hair loss tests that can provide more information?
You should get a complete DHT hair loss test done by MyDiagnostics.in. The test can help find out if there are toxins present in the body that can be impacting hair growth. You should get a hair analysis mineral test done to get an assessment of the quality of your follicles.
The best hair loss treatments for men
There are several hair loss treatment options that can work to treat extensive hair loss in men. Low level laser therapy, topical finasteride, minoxidil, and certain medications can help in treating hair loss in men. Oral medication prescribed by a doctor also promotes hair growth for some men.
While hair fall in men is fairly common, it is best to get tested to remove other possibilities such as infections, deficiencies, etc. It is also important to get tested in the case that you may be having a scalp infection or hair disorders.
How can I stop my hair loss?
It is important to focus on the essential reasons that cause hair loss in men. With male pattern hair loss being different from female pattern hair loss, it is important to optimize your diet and lifestyle to balance genetic effects. There are also several changes to your styling routine that you can focus on to avoid further hair loss.
- A hair healthy diet can promote hair growth and stop hair loss caused due to nutrition issues.
- The right shampooing routines promote hair growth, which is why it is important to consult with a specialist.
- You can immediately start a topical and oral medication routine, as prescribed by a dermatologist or hair specialist.
- The right sleep and stress management strategies can also improve hair follicle strength.
- Scalp issues and skin irritation problems should be managed to minimize their role.
- Using coconut oil regularly on your hair can help stop long-term hair loss. It is important to continue oiling your hair regularly to promote healthy hair growth.
Img src - https://pixabay.com/photos/food-coconut-fruit-healthy-3062139/
Can a man's hair grow back?
While there are genetic, lifestyle, nutritional, and hormonal balance related factors in hair regrowth, it is important to target the right ones to grow your hair follicles back. Male pattern baldness is not reversible in many cases where the genetic component is involved.
In this case, men can opt for hair transplant options or opt for medication to slow hair loss. Hair transplants are viable options, especially for men who have tried topical minoxidil and have not seen results.