COVID-19 RT PCR Test – Home Sample Collection in Mumbai & Report Online (ICMR Approved)
Available in Mumbai City
Test is run at ICMR Approved Labs such as Metropolis
About the COVID-19 RT PCR Test
Test contains -
- SARS-CoV-2 RT PCR based confirmatory test through swab test (RT PCR) lab analysis which is the gold-standard for COVID 19 detection, confirming the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in a home collected sample.
What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are a large group of RNA viruses that cause diseases in animals as well as in humans. They have characteristic crown-like or club shaped spikes that project from their surface. Coronavirus usually causes an upper tract respiratory infection in humans and birds and can cause illness ranging from the common cold to diseases such as MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) and SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome).
What are the prime symptoms of COVID 19?
According to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the prime symptoms for COVID 19 include -
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
It is important to get a covid 19 test done if you are experiencing any of these symptoms. A covid 19 test is the best preliminary protocol in determining the presence of the virus.
How does coronavirus spread?
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), coronavirus spreads through the droplets and aerosols of the infected person.The coronavirus spreads when these droplets are inhaled or come direct contact with eyes, nose or mouth of a healthy person that are nearby (less than or equal to 1 meter). Individuals can be asymptomatic and still spread the virus to other people, which is why it is important to get a covid test done if you have come into contact with someone who has tested positive.
What is COVID-RT PCR test?
The COVID RT PCR test in Mumbai is the real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT PCR) test that measures the nucleic acid content of the SARS Cov 2 in the patient’s sample. The DNA of the patient is taken via a nasal swab and the test results are attained in 1-7 days, depending on the laboratory. This test can help determine if the patient has the virus at the time of testing. If you have tested positive for covid 19, it is important to self-isolate immediately and speak to your doctor.
How long will it take to get the COVID RT PCR test?
For on-site testing, the samples may be tested within a few hours, but if the samples are sent elsewhere for RT PCR testing, it may take 1 - 7 days to get the results. On an average, the COVID RT PCR test results are obtained in 2 - 5 days. Individuals who have tested positive for covid 19 need to reach out to their doctor for the next steps in ensuring safe recovery.
How to interpret the results for the RT PCR test?
The results of the COVID RT PCR test in mumbai are interpreted with the help of Ct Value graphs. The Ct (cycle threshold) is the number of cycles required for the fluorescent signal to cross the threshold (i.e. exceeds background level). Ct levels are inversely proportional to the amount of target nucleic acid in the sample (i.e. the lower the Ct level the greater the amount of target nucleic acid in the sample).
- Cts < 29 are strong positive reactions indicative of abundant target nucleic acid in the sample
- Cts of 30-37 are positive reactions indicative of moderate amounts of target nucleic acid.
- Cts of 38-40 are weak reactions indicative of minimal amounts of target nucleic acid which could represent an infection state or environmental contamination.
For covid 19 testing, it is important to test regularly to obtain the most accurate results of your current status. This test is highly accurate in determining the presence of the virus and is a preliminary tool in the containment of the virus.
What is the name of COVID 19 Test?
There are 3 types of COVID-19 testing -
- Molecular Tests
- A molecular covid 19 test looks for the virus’s genetic material via a nasal or a throat swab and are the current standard for diagnosing COVID 19.
- Most testing sites use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, which are very accurate and are usually performed in large certified covid testing labs.
- Antigen testing
- These rapid coronavirus tests, which detect certain proteins on the surface or in the virus, are inexpensive, efficient, and fast. Many of these tests have been FDA authorized for emergency use, some even in the home environment (Ellume).
- This test can be used to make a clinical diagnosis in symptomatic patients in the first five days of symptoms.
- However, they aren’t currently recommended for screening asymptomatic populations.
- Antibody Testing
- These tests detect antibodies that signal that the body has mounted an immune response to the virus.
- They test whether you have antibodies to the virus, but not whether those are neutralizing antibodies, which are the best indicator that someone is protected from the virus.
- Therefore, they do not indicate whether a person has a current COVID-19 infection, or when they were exposed. This test is an accurate assessment of the presence of antigens.
Is COVID RT PCR test required for domestic air travel?
Currently, a COVID-19 RT PCR test would be conducted only for symptomatic passengers at Mumbai airport. If you are experiencing shortness of breath, sore throat, or recurring cough, then you may have to take a Covid 19 test prior to flying. For domestic passengers, 14 days of home quarantine is mandatory. There is covid 19 testing facility provided at Mumbai airport for travellers that may be symptomatic.
The only exemption would be granted to passengers who visit the state for a short period for purposes like business, official, trade, medical, court cases, property management. The guidelines may change based on the current situation of the spread of the COVID 19 infection, which is why it is important to check the guidelines provided by Mumbai airport website. Travellers can also reach out to the customer service centre at Mumbai airport for more information on the most updated guidelines.
How long should you quarantine after a positive covid RT PCR test?
The duration of quarantining depends on the symptoms of covid 19 experienced by the individual. It is also important to track your covid 19 test results to understand your current status.
- Asymptomatic: For individuals that do not have symptoms of covid 19, it is important to self-isolate for 10 days after the first positive covid test.
- Symptomatic: If you are experiencing key symptoms of covid 19 then it is important to self-isolate for a minimum of 10 days after the onset of symptoms. You should also consult with your doctor for the management of your symptoms as well.
- Severely ill: People that are experiencing severe symptoms of covid 19, need to isolate for a minimum of 10 days and up to 20 days after the onset of symptoms. It is important to test for the presence of the virus repeatedly as your symptoms subside.
How is COVID 19 RT PCR test done in Mumbai?
There are three key steps involved in the process of getting a COVID-19 PCR test done in Mumbai
- Sample collection - The sample collection of the patient is done using a swab to collect respiratory material found in the nasal cavity.
- Extraction - When a laboratory technologist receives the sample, they perform a process called extraction, which isolates genetic material from the sample including genetic material from any virus that may be present.
- PCR - A PCR machine along with specific chemicals and special software is used to interpret Covid test results.
- All symptomatic individuals who have undertaken international travel in the last 14 days.
- All symptomatic contacts of laboratory confirmed cases.
- All symptomatic health care workers.
- All patients with Severe Acute Respiratory illness (fever AND cough and/or shortness of breath).
- Asymptomatic direct and high-risk contacts of a confirmed case should be tested once between day 5 and day 14 of coming in his/her contact
You are required to submit the following three documents which are mandated by the Government of India. These documents are vital for tracking the spread of the virus in India and are used for verifying the results of Covid 19 testing. Without these documents, Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) Covid 19 testing is not allowed in India.
- Government Photo ID proof (Aadhaar card/ Voter Id/ Driving license/Passport) to validate/ record the current address.
- Contact details